The Magic of Providence Park


Providence Park during a game between the Portland Timbers and Minnesota United in the summer of 2022. 

What is your idea of a perfect summer night?

For some, it might be a night out on the town with friends. For others, it might be a relaxing drink out on the porch. For me, a perfect summer night is an evening spent at Providence Park.

Nestled between Southwest Morrison Street and 18th Avenue on the west side of Portland, the monolithic stadium almost has as much history as the city itself. Although my history with the stadium only dates back to a little under nine years, I've already experienced a handful of memories and experiences at Providence Park that will last me a lifetime.

I can still remember my first visit to the ground with my dad in the summer of 2015. My mom had bought tickets for us to see the Portland Timbers play the Houston Dynamo as a birthday gift for me and a Father's Day gift for my dad.

We drove over three hours from Central Oregon to the Sunset Transit Center in Beaverton before we took the light rail to Providence Park. Despite my annoyance at the fact we were about half an hour late to the match, I was mesmerized from the instant I caught sight of the stadium.

The sound of the unison chanting of Timbers supporters, the blaring sounds of a trumpet, the beating thumps of a drum, and the revving of a chainsaw cascaded through my ears, filling me with excitement.

As we walked to our seats, I marveled at the sights of the stadium concourse. The hallways were small for a sports venue but filled with concession stands, vendors selling Timbers gear, and commemorative decor honoring fans of the club.

My mother and I at a Timbers game in the summer of 2021. She loved the "Stand Together" mural in the Timbers Army and insisted we take a photo next to it. 

I had seen large crowds before at sporting events such as Oakland Raiders games, but I had never experienced a crowd like the one at Providence Park. From the minute my dad and I arrived until the sound of the final whistle, the fans rattled off song after song and were reactive towards every bit of excitement the game produced.

When the Timbers scored, the place was pandemonium. The Timbers Army roared and let off forest-green smoke bombs. Timber Joey, the team's mascot, fired up his chainsaw before sawing off part of a log to celebrate the goal.

One particularly memorable chant came after Argentinian forward Maximiliano Urruti scored for the Timbers. The crowd sang "Urruti! Urruti! Urruti! Urruti!" to the tune of "Apache (Jump On It)" by The Sugarhill Gang.

Once the match was over, I left Providence Park with the name "Urruti" stuck in my head and a desire to return to the venue.

Since then, I've visited Providence Park more than a dozen times

I've watched the Timbers set a franchise record by scoring seven goals in a match while sitting in the front row with my sister. I've watched the Timbers win the Western Conference Final while crammed shoulder-to-shoulder into a packed general admission section. I've brought friends and family members to Providence Park who had never enjoyed soccer and convinced them to give the sport a watch.

There have even been disappointing moments that have been a spectacle to witness.

Such as Clint Dempsey stunning 20,000 Timbers fans by scoring a last-minute equalizer for Portland's bitter rival, the Seattle Sounders. Or Raul Ruidiaz belting in a fantastic curling shot from the top of the box to beat the Timbers at a game I took my dad to on his birthday.

My father and I at a Timbers game we attended on his birthday. The Timbers might have lost 2-1 but we still had a great time nonetheless. 

Over the years, I've seen the stadium undergo several structural changes. The drastic $85 million renovation of the east stand from 2017 to 2019 saw an additional 4,000 seats added to Providence Park, making the home support louder than ever.

Despite my disapproval of the decision, the stand opposite the Timbers Army has transformed from a reasonably priced bleacher area into a standing-only section. Even the rafters have changed, with the Portland Timbers and their NWSL counterpart, the Portland Thorns, hanging banners to commemorate recent achievements by both teams.

What keeps me coming back to the stadium after all these years?

It's not a physical object but a feeling you get upon entering the building.

The magic of Providence Park.

No matter who you're with or what you're there to see, a magical moment is bound to happen during your time at Providence Park. Something that you'll never forget, something that will make you want to come back, and something that will make you fall in love with a monument of the Rose City.

I've been hooked ever since my first visit and can't imagine myself losing interest in the building any time soon.

My family and I are headed to Providence Park on Friday, Aug. 16, to enjoy another magical moment at the venue. The Foo Fighters, Pretenders, and Alex G will perform the first concert at the stadium since Billy Joel in 2017.

With the concert bringing in a different crowd to what could be to many an unfamiliar venue, Providence Park will win over the hearts of thousands of attendees this summer just like it did mine.


The gate D entrance on the northeast corner of Providence Park.


At A Glance 


Providence Park

Where:
Portland, Oregon
What: Enjoy live sporting events or concerts
Official Website: www.timbers.com/providencepark
Hours: Open for events such as Timbers games, Thorns matches, or concerts
Best time to visit: During the summer at night
Best way to get there:
Taking a light rail from a transit center. My personal favorite is the Sunset Transit Center in Beaverton. The ride from there to Providence Park is only around 15-25 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts